How to Come up with Unique Concepts for Online Businesses
If you’re tired of working a joyless 9-to-5 shift, you may be considering opening your very own online business. As tempting the concept of being your own boss may sound, it’s not as simple or as easy as you may believe. Millions upon millions of online businesses are active around the world. For example, there are 1.8 million online retailers in America alone, not counting other types of digital businesses.
With so much competition, you need a unique business idea that has a steady market if you want your online store to not only survive but thrive.
Here’s how you can come up with unique business ideas and four sample concepts to get you started.
Coming Up with the Right Concept
It can be very hard to think up a business concept that hasn’t been done before. The concept of a truly unique business is incredibly elusive. But here is what you need to consider if you want to provide online buyers something only you can give them.
- Identify your talents. Think about what you’re good at because you’ll be your sole employee in the beginning. Are you good with crafts? Are you skilled with computer programming? Your talents will help you narrow down a concept.
- Consider your passions. Sometimes what you’re good at and what you want to do are tow different things. Finding a middle ground is necessary if you want to succeed. For example, if you’re good at video editing but passionate about dancing, you can make dance tutorial videos.
- Don’t forget the practical side. A good business concept is useless without the practical facets of a business. Great customer satisfaction, convenient user interfaces and attractive website designs are just as important. For example, tools such as onboarding programs for new clients help you foster good relations with prospective customers drawn to your business.
- Analyze resources. Business need capital and equipment, unless you have both lying around your home, you’ll need to save up. Determine what you need to start your business and acquire them beforehand.
5 Unique Ideas
You can explore plenty of avenues for your entrepreneurial spirit. Below are some great ideas for when you start an online store. They allow you to nurture your creativity and make a tidy profit if you make the right decisions.
- Make Homemade Soap
Homemade soap is becoming popular, thanks to guides from experts like Martha Stewart. Cold processed soap requires simple ingredients and can yield dozens of fanciful designs. The easy process allows you to infuse soaps with customized scents and essences, providing your customers with almost endless possibilities. It’s easy to learn techniques that will allow you to make soaps infused with honey that look like honeycombs or designed to look like delicious cinnamon rolls. Let your imagination wander and create hygienic masterpieces.
- Craft Custom Jewelry
Customized costume jewelry has been lauded as one of the hottest trends by fashion experts. People are looking for pieces that reflect their wardrobes and represent their personal brand of style. Mass produced costume jewelry may look fancy but its not completely unique. Homemade pieces, on the other hand, can be truly one of a kind. There are many jewelry techniques you can study for expanding your repertoire. They involve different materials, such as beads, wires and even recycled plastics.
- Art on Commission
There are now plenty of platforms that make it easier for artists to showcase their work and get paid for it. Some of these platforms involve patrons paying a monthly fee to their favorite artists in exchange for access to art, some of them simplify the process through which customers can find artists. If you have talent involving drawing or painting, especially in a digital medium, you can take on art by commission. The internet makes it easy for you to communicate with clients, and the various digital payment methods means you can have a steady income without breaking a sweat.
- Start an Educational Vlog
YouTube stars are now some of the most influential people online, some of them getting paid millions of dollars to promote products. However, you can make a difference by finding a unique and educational angle for a vlog. Useful information is helpful for building a compelling narrative for vlogs. For example, one famous vlogger recreates recipes from films and television. Others create useful tutorials for baking or home remodeling. Find an interesting and educational angle for your vlog, set up a space to record and start filming.
The digital landscape offers new horizons for entrepreneurs to explore. Finding your unique place in the ever-changing and fast-paced online world is the best first step for ensuring your success in the future.