Tips to Improve Safety in the Workplace
As a business owner, you have a duty to provide a safe working environment for your employees, and while there are rules and regulations regarding this, you can go above and beyond these guidelines to reduce the risk of accident and injury, advised professional personal injury lawyers Mccarthy. Here are a few ideas that you might want to consider.
- Manual Handling Training – Warehouse and factory workers can really benefit from manual handling training, which teaches people how to correctly handle a range of objects, and with a Google search, you can locate a local manual handling specialist. The training provider would send an expert to observe work activities, which would give them the information they need to prepare a short course. It would take a morning or afternoon, and with hands-on participation, the trainers would ensure that every employee understands how best to handle objects. This prevents back and neck injuries, which can really cause you to lose a lot of hours.
- Safety Equipment – Whether we are talking ear defenders or work boots, if you feel your staff are lacking in the correct clothing or equipment, there are online suppliers who have the best brands at trade prices. You could ask one of your staff to check monthly on the stock of essential PPE, and you can even create a standard order, which is automatically billed and delivered. Of course, there are many brands to choose from, and by sticking to the upper price range, you are assured of good quality, which is essential for safety clothing and equipment.
- Safety Meetings – Human beings become complacent, this is a part of our nature, and regarding essential safety practices, we need constant reminders and a monthly meeting on safety would be a great idea. This would give everyone a chance to discuss safety in the workplace, and you can review best practices. It isn’t necessary to create a meeting for this, you can simply tag it on at the end of your regular meeting.
- Review Cleaning Policy – Check how often the floors are deep cleaned and look for very worn floor areas, especially in warehouses, loading bays and factories. The work environment should have good hygiene and if you see a need for a change in the routine, you can inform the relevant people.
- Signage – Safety signage is a must and if you take a walk around your facility, you can see if you have all the right signs in the right places. Safety signage acts as a reminder to us all and it is better to have too many than too few, and there are online suppliers of PPE and other safety-related products.
If we all work together regarding safety in the workplace, the risk of accidental injury is greatly reduced, and by implementing any of the above, you are doing what you can to improve the safety statistics at your place of work. Why not make a note to talk to your employees at the next meeting, then you can all discuss safety in the workplace and ways to improve?