10 Things You Need to Do After a Car Accident
An accident never announces itself. One moment things can be okay and the next, they might turn someone’s life upside down. In any case, an accident can be a very unfortunate and traumatic experience for a victim. When it comes to accidents in cars, there may be a number of things to consider in a very short time. This can be a difficult task for a victim, but they are extremely important.
Here, we share some of the most crucial things to take care of after someone is involved in a car accident.
The 10-point rule
- Never try to escape: Any accident can be a very unfortunate event for anyone. But in the case of a vehicle involved, the things to be done become longer. In a car accident – no matter how extreme – the first thing to do is never to escape. Fleeing from the site of an accident indicates accepting guilt and can have extreme legal after-effects. Stay at the site, try to assess the damage, and wait.
- Call for help: An accident can bring with it a lot of damage. The damage may be to one’s own body, one’s mind, or the most common, to one’s vehicle. So before anything else, either party involved in an accident should call the authorities. Given the situation, this call may be to the hospital and after that to the police.
- Gather evidence: Any car accident comes with a lot of legal issues to take care of. This is why it is important to have all the evidence possible. Photographs of the site from different angles, of the damages that the vehicle, any associated objects that may have caused the accident – all go in as evidence.
- Take note of witnesses: In most common cases of vehicle accidents, there are a number of witnesses present. When there is a police inquiry, the witnesses can give an objective idea of what took place at the time of the accident. For anyone involved in the accident, witnesses have to be taken into consideration.
- Keep the record: Any kind of vehicle accident should be maintained in the owner’s insurance records. If one is trying to find any information about accident claims, firms like Smiths Lawyers can be a good place to start. They offer an elaborate explanation as to why the party involved in an accident should be more aware of their legal rights.
- File for the insurance claim: In case of an accident, getting claims for the damage can be a complicated process. But the sooner the insurance claims are placed, the easier it is to get the damages fixed. This saves all the hassle of going into an argument about who is to be blamed for the damage.
This brings us to the next important point.
- Do not make a scene: Accidents can lead to bad arguments. When one vehicle has incurred more damage than the other. It is okay to be angry about any accident or damage to a personal vehicle, but not in a time of crisis. Screaming at the other party or trying to fight it out before the right authorities arrive, can build up the problem rather than solving one.
- Do not admit guilt: An accident is mostly an unfortunate occurrence that happens by no fault of either end. However, admitting guilt or simply apologizing out of nervousness or fear to the other party can put one in a responsible position and they could be liable to legal actions.
- Seek medical care: Depending on the severity of the accident, this decision should be taken. In case of a major accident, the first thing to be done is to call for medical care and check whether both sides are physically safe. Everything else can follow. In case of a slightly minor incident, this can be done while taking care of everything else.
- Keep your right mind: It might be a very difficult thing to do at the moment, but when there has been an accident one should be calm and patient. Even though there may be anger from the other side, it is the smart decision to stay quiet and wait for the authorities to make the judgement call.
Be safe and be aware
Being on the roads is an extremely dangerous task with the rising population and traffic. This is why all kinds of precautions need to be taken before driving out. In any case, if there is an accident, it is really important to know certain things that could be helpful. No matter where or when road safety should be the supreme priority.