Things You Need To Know About A Social Security Card
What Is A Social Security Card?
A Social Security Card (SSC) is a piece of paper for identity in the United States that you’ll need for Social Security and other governmental benefits. It has a unique nine-digit numberthat is assigned by the Social Security Administration (SSA) and is provided to all the citizens, permanent residents and temporary working residents of the United States.
How To Apply For A Social Security Card?
Applying for a Social Security Card has been made easier by the Social Security Administration. All you’ve to do is to provide ID proofs confirming your age, identity, and citizenship or current immigration status. You can apply for a Social Security Card at application-filing-service.com or open a “my Social Security” account. This account allows you to monitor and manage your Social Security benefits and also, to make changes to your Social Security records.
Why Do You Need A Social Security Card?
It is important to possess a Social Security Card in the U.S. for the following reasons.
- The Social Security Administration uses your Social Security Card to monitor your overall income along with your working years.
- To get a job, for your employer will use your Social Security Number to report your income to the Social Security Administration through the Internal Revenue Service (IRS). The IRS uses the Social Security Number to match the income you report on your tax return to your employer’s report.
- To apply for documents like passports and driver’s license. Failing to provide it or not possessing a Social Security Card might delay the process.
- To avail Healthcareor public assistance programs, such as unemployment benefits or Social Security disability income provided by the government.
- To apply for credit and to take out loans.
However, the government does not give Social Security Cards to non-citizens who aren’t allowed to work in the United States. So, they are exempted from providing it, when applying for a driver’s license, availing healthcare or public assistance programs, and registering for schools and colleges.
How To Apply For A Replacement Card?
In case of applying for a replacement card, download an SS-5 form from the SSA’s website and fill in the application with the given instructions. On applying, you’ll be asked to provide your identity proofs like driver’s license, passport or birth certificate. The Social Security Administration will also accept valid ID’s that has your photograph, name, age or date of birth like school ID, military ID or an ID provided by your healthcare provider.
However, the SSA provides a replacement card only three times a year and ten times in a person’s lifetime. So, it is recommended to keep your card safely and not to carry it around unless particularly necessary like, when you’re applying for a credit loan or a driver’s license or providing it to your employer as a proof of your citizenship. Also, you need not provide your Social Security Number to anyone who asks for it, like filing medical paperwork, for other proofs can also be used for identification and to manage your records.