The Importance of App Testing during Development
Making sure you have a clean code and an aesthetically accurate design of your application is not enough to guarantee thousands of downloads a day. However, what every app developed out there needs is complete and detailed testing not only when it is ready for the launch, but on the development stages as well.
Evidently, the software development market has massively grown and enriched with millions of unique applications over the past few years. Statista Technology Market Outlook anticipates the industry revenue increase to around 613 billion US dollars in 3 years. Armed with such a great business propelling method, however, the entrepreneurs should be careful and not overestimate the quality and popularity of their products. As users always have a choice and that is why demands for applications’ functionality, design, usability, and others are getting higher every day. In order to face all the market competition challenges decently and confidently, it is crucial to apply effective mobile testing practices during app development.
Creating any kind of software is a complex task that engages a number of experts working shoulder to shoulder. From the first layouts of the app design and functions, the developers’ team is eager to implement the successful launch of this app on Apple Store or Play Market there are sometimes dozens or hundreds or even thousands of steps to be taken. To make sure the app will meet the users’ requirements and generate revenue, you need to start testing it from day one of the development process. It seems to be more important to invest in a stunning design or promotion campaign but check out the benefits of the mobile app testing processes during development:
No bugs – no problems. Quality Assurance specialists use variable software to bust every little bug and code mistake. Checking how your app performs the fundamental functions like downloading and operating is a crucial test at the very beginning of the development. This also incorporates estimating the application congruence with the infrastructure it is set in.
Planning the budget. Eliciting the problems and weak sides of the application on the development stages enables smart and timely management of the costs that you need to spend on the app elaboration. Testing the app during development also helps to estimate the profit your company will get with the application launch.
Making the interface user-friendly. Simply stated: are your customers ok with what they see when downloading your app? The users hope that software providers take care of their time and costs spent on the app. They also long for logically structured comprehensive design, easy and fast navigation, rocket fast page loading, the ability to share their experience using your app with other users and, very important, sharing their feedback with you.
Need for the update. Testing the app during development is an excellent method to determine what the further versions of your app should be like. Keep it in mind that your app may simply fail to be compliant with newer versions of firmware and software of your users’ devices. Detect and fix all the possible glitches timely and avoid losing the profit because of the application malfunctioning.
Avoiding potential risks. Testing the mobile applications in the early stages of development guarantees securing against wasting money and efforts on the unprofitable project. Get the QA specialists to elicit the issues and based on their work results you will be able to forecast future challenges and risks. Moreover, testing the application during development may reveal the fact that this app may fail to meet your audience requirements.
Shape up your brand. Besides design and functional set, every app needs a decent branding campaign in order to attract the customers’ attention and engage new users. Building a strong product brand will always contribute to the company’s brand enhancement.
Hitting the SEO. Imagine that your app is done and launched on the market but when you google it, you do not see it even on the tenth page of the search result. Poor SEO of your app content and branding may dramatically affect the application performance in browsers.
Make your app all-devices-friendly. Yearly, millions of smartphones and tablets are sold and dozens are elaborated. To make sure your app is compatible with different software and hardware it is crucial to try it with the help of qualified testers. Seeing how your application functions on iOS, Android, Windows, etc. and their updated versions helps to adequately estimate not just the app’s performance but also understand the needs of the users depending on their devices choice. Because hardware is as important as software in means of testing since your app must easily adapt to different display resolutions and sensors.
Marketing buzz and fuss. Obviously, a properly functioning and well-looking app will attract more users’ attention and motivate them to spread the word about your product. You will not regret going those extra miles with the scrupulous QA check-up as it will contribute to particular app popularity and, as a result, to your company popularity on the market, too.
Hopefully, the benefits of the timely app testing look persuasive enough for you to approach the subject in a truly serious and responsible way. Then, you need to know what to test in your application in order to gain as much use of it as possible.
1. GUI test. Fine dress helps to impress. Testing the application design and comparing it with the layout is the first step your QA experts can take to make sure your app is pixel perfect, with all the elements in its place. Assessing the typography and localization helps to rest assured your app looks great on different devices for customers located in different parts of the world.
2. Functional test. Moving from the outer side to the inner side of your app to see how it actually performs its functions and corresponds to the requirements listed in the specifications.
3. Performance test. Once the app’s “outlook” is approved and all its elements are in the right places, each performing an authorized function, it is time to check the application’s overall performance. At this stage, the testers check how the app functions under some particular requirements.
4. Usability test. Here comes the testing stage that reveals how user-friendly your application is. At this point, the testers need to validate the intuitive app navigation and that all elements of the application allow your clients to use all the application features.
5. Compatibility test. As you may understand at this point, the QA specialists make sure that the application performance is complete and seamless on different soft- and hardware. This kind of testing is crucial for modern mobile apps, which are cross-platform and should allow the best user experience on Android as well as on iOS
6. Security test. Make sure your app’s security features are bulletproof and your users’ data is protected from leaks and frauds. At this point, the testers simulate different attacks on different app’s configurations and features to check how reliable the application is and elicit all its weaknesses.
Testing the application during development is an essential part of the overall app development process. If you strongly believe in your app’s successful performance and profit growth but are not intended to provide solid testing, here is some bad news for you. The clock is not going to strike for you yet. Only with thorough and scrupulous testing of every aspect concerning your application you can elicit its soft spots, enhance usability, and supply your customers with the product they need.