Protect Your Content With Dynamic Watermarking – Here’s How
Taking the necessary steps to protect your website content, especially in an age when content is all, will help to protect your valuable content from external attacks in so many ways. In the recent past, piracy cases have been on the rise. Even with stringent measures in place to curb this unlawful behavior, the widespread use of high-speed connectivity, technological advancements, coupled with exposure to information technology have all played a role in the escalation of content consumption.
As a content creator, protecting yourself from post and pre-decryption theft will allow you to reap the full benefits of your efforts. About 55% of internet users agree that they’ve accessed pirated content while knowing that it’s wrong to do so. While there exist a plethora of ways to protect your content from illegal use and distribution, finding the solutions that work for you can often seem like a daunting task. With that out of the way, here’s how to protect your content with dynamic watermarking.
1. Create a Trackable Digital Fingerprint/Mark of Identity
When it comes to safeguarding your best creation, content that is, you’ll want to leave a mark that identifies with your brand name. While this will ensure that you remain relevant, it will also help you track your content. One thing to note is that digital watermarks will be embedded into your content, whether data or media. This is a unique source of ownership.
There are two types of watermarks namely, static and dynamic watermarks. Using watermarks is perhaps the best way you can rely on to protect your copyrights. However, you’ll need to rely on more secure ways to protect your content, as well. Dynamic watermarks are more secure and unlike static watermarks, they are hard to remove. In addition to this, dynamic watermarks will provide you with insights on sources of data leaks and they won’t change the nature of your original files. That being said, below are the types of digital watermarks. They include:
- Fragile watermarks — As the name suggests, these are watermarks that can be erased in various data processes.
- Perceptible watermark — This is a type of watermark that can easily be recognized. It will be in the form of an embedded text or logo into any type of media.
- Imperceptible watermark — Watermarks that will be embedded into any type of media and remain incognito to the naked eye are known as imperceptible watermarks. In this case, the use of sophisticated algorithms will be used to hide the watermarks.
- Reversible watermarks — This option provides you with customizable options such as removing an embedded watermark in the case the watermark degrades the content. This means that you can always restore your pictures to their original formats but with proper authorization and authentication procedures.
2. Rely On the Best Watermarking Tools
When it comes to adding watermarks to your content, you’ll need to rely on some of the best watermarking tools that are freely available online. For those wishing to add an extra layer of security to their content, you can rely on paid watermarking services where after signing up with a watermarking company, you can choose a plan that best suits your budget.
3. Utilize Smart Visual Elements
The thing with protecting your content with watermarks is that you must remain unique. This means using visual elements that are not only captivating but elements that will also leave a mark. Dynamic watermark options are customizable. In addition to this, you have a wide range of watermark templates to choose from. You also have the option of utilizing registered symbol/s, trademarks, or copyright to go with your content.
4. Choose Efficient Watermarks
If you’ve chosen to utilize dynamic watermarks on your content, then you’ll need to ensure that it’s a fairly easy process and one that is also efficient. It should take you less time to embed, customize, and extract a watermark. This, however, doesn’t mean that you should make it any easier for those wishing to pirate your content.
Additionally, watermark placement should appear natural and minimal. Your watermarks should not take up more space on your content, say for instance, when watermarking pictures. When choosing a dynamic watermark for your content, it’s important that you also check its characteristics. Dynamic watermarks are more robust, they are imperceptible, secure, and have a capacity to store a lot of information
It could be that you are watermarking your content to protect your copyright or to prevent content piracy. Whatever your reasons are, always ensure to rely on efficient watermarking options. In utilizing the above tips, you’ll be on your way to safeguarding your best creations when promoting your brand on the internet.