How to start a computer repair shop
Computers have long been an essential part of our lives. So if you decide to start a computer repair business, you will not be without customers. But launching any business is a challenging task. You will not be enough to have technical skills. You will have to learn a lot of information, show strong organizational skills, and, of course, the proper computer repair shop software. This article will be a real hint for you. All the information needed for the beginning entrepreneur is collected and systematized here.
Why starting a computer repair shop is a good idea?
Here are some reasons to help you make up your mind if you still have doubts:
- High demand for services. In today’s world, almost everyone uses computers. Computers have become part of our professional and personal lives. In addition to work tasks, we use computers for communication, education, and entertainment. At the same time, just like any other machine, computers wear out and break down over time. Buying a new computer can cost the user a pretty penny. So if the failure can be fixed, most people would instead call a handyperson to repair it than buy a new computer.
- Interesting work. If you like working with computers, this job will bring you income and pleasure. You will be able to choose which services to provide to your clients. It is also a profession that requires constant development. New technologies are constantly appearing in the IT world, and you will need to learn them and improve your skills.
- No significant investments are needed. You don’t have to rent an office or buy any expensive equipment. You can do computer repairs at your home or your client’s office and provide online consultations. The main costs you will face are the fees for getting the necessary education and purchasing software and some tools to perform computer repairs.
- Flexible working hours. You can work when it’s convenient for you. If you want, you can repair computers at night, or on weekends. You can devote as much time to your business as you like. This is especially convenient for beginners. After all, you may only cover some of your financial needs while you have a few clients. Many people who start their businesses wait to quit their jobs. Here, the ability to plan your schedule will significantly help you to combine your primary job with your business.
As you can see, this type of business has many benefits. But is it so easy to run it? Read on to find out what you need for a successful computer repair shop.
What is needed for a successful start of a computer repair shop?
To provide computer repair services, you need specific knowledge. In addition, you will need some equipment and software. Below is an essential list of what you need to start a successful business:
Knowledge and skills
Without the following skills, it will be pretty tricky for you to launch and grow your business:
- Professional knowledge. First and foremost, you need to get a professional education. Computer repair professionals often have an associate’s or bachelor’s degree.
- Marketing knowledge. You will need to market your business and tell potential customers about your services. However, you can delegate this task to professionals if you need more marketing knowledge.
As a specialist, you will have to communicate frequently with clients. Therefore, in addition to professional skills, you will also need such soft skills:
- Ability to listen and properly understand the client’s problem
- Ability to deliver information to the client.
- Analytical thinking. You need to be able to analyze the data and find the best solution.
The list of tools you need depends primarily on the services you plan to offer. You may need such tools for work:
- Power supply testers
- POST cards
- Crimper pliers
- Thermal paste
- Thermal camera
In addition to these tools, you may also need computer software and special software to manage your computer repair shop.
Licenses and certification
To perform paid computer repair services, you need a state and government license. Certifications will validate your professional knowledge and cause customers to trust you. For a computer repair technician, the following certificates will be appropriate:
- CompTIA A+
- ACMT: Apple Certified Macintosh Technician
- CompTIA Server+
- CWTS: Certified Wireless Technology Specialist
- BICSI ITS Technician
So you’ve got everything you need? You can begin to take action. In the next section, read what you need to do to start a computer repair shop.
Steps you need to consider by starting a computer repair shop
Starting a business is a complex process that involves many steps. The list below will allow you to do everything correctly and remember everything.
With a good plan, you are likely to run your business smoothly. Even if you think everything is going well at first, over time, issues may arise that you should have anticipated in the planning stage. So devote enough time to planning and make it as detailed as possible. You will be able to spell out your goals to see opportunities and your weaknesses.
So in the planning stage, think about the following points:
How will you name your company?
The name should be succinct and catchy. Also, after reading it, potential customers should understand your company’s services.
Who is your target audience?
Think about what your potential customers can do and what they can use computers for. That way, you can better understand their concerns and what solutions they need.
Who are your competitors?
Research which companies serve your target audience in your area. You will be able to find out what services they provide and what services are missing in the market.
What services will you provide?
The most popular services are the following:
- Software installation
- Testing of new software
- Software troubleshooting
- Update computer software
- Checking security programs
- Preparation of new computer systems
You can perform some services directly in the office on your client’s computer or via a remote connection to their desktop. The choice of services you need affects what tools you need for the job.
How much will your services cost?
The average cost of computer repair services is $60-80 per hour. But this price may depend on the complexity of the work done. It is not advisable to underestimate or overestimate services. This can scare away potential customers. Also, remember that it will take a lot of work to change the price later. After all, your customers will get used to the price set and may leave you because of the price increase.
How many employees do you need?
Think about which tasks you will perform yourself and which to delegate. Also, at this stage, you need to calculate the size of your team.
How much money do you need to start a computer repair business?
This amount depends on many factors. Here is an approximate list of the expenses you need to start a computer repair business:
- Business registration
- Tools and equipment
- Advertising costs
- Rent of office
- Car rent
This list may vary depending on the individual characteristics of your business.
Legal company registering
There are several types of business structures. Depending on the chosen form, tax, personal liability, and business registration requirements depend.Therefore, studying the types of legal structures in detail in detail when registering a business is worthwhile. It is recommended that you get advice from a lawyer.
You can choose one of the following structures:
- Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- General Partnership
- Sole Proprietorship
Launching your company on the market
Even if you employ real professionals and provide high-quality services, you will only have a few clients if you can make yourself known in the marketplace. For this, you need a well-thought-out marketing campaign. You can promote your business yourself. But it will take a lot of time and effort, which you can spend on other tasks.
Marketing companies can also help you promote your business. They can take care of creating a website, social media pages, and the launch of advertising.
Setting up an accounting
When starting your business, paying attention to setting up your accounting is essential. You must open a separate bank account, especially for your company. You will need to consider aspects such as:
- Expenses and income
- Your employees’ salaries
You can do the accounting yourself or hire a professional accountant.
Starting your own computer repair business is an excellent opportunity to make money doing what you enjoy most. Hopefully, this article will be helpful to you, and you will go through this process quickly.