Herbalife Nutrition Clubs: One of Many Ways Herbalife Independent Distributors Operate
Herbalife Nutrition is a global company known for its healthy and delicious nutritional shakes and other nutritional supplements. It has been in business for more than forty years, and its family of customers and independent distributors have grown by millions in that time.
When Herbalife first came to be, its sales methods were much different than they are today. Their independent distributors operated in the same direct sales methods as famous cosmetics, essential oils, and food storage companies do. They went from door to door, selling products and making a profit from those products. In the early 2000s, two independent distributors found that this method didn’t work for them and created what we now know today as Herbalife Nutrition Clubs. In these nutrition clubs, distributors, community members, and Herbalife customers can come together with the common goal of working towards a healthy, active lifestyle.
Since then, independent distributors have found their own ways to interact with their community and Herbalife customers, and it has completely changed the way the company offers its products and services.
The Goals Of Herbalife Nutrition
Herbalife Nutrition’s goal has always been to be a force for change in communities where nutrition isn’t a number one priority. This has been the driving factor behind global initiatives like the Nutrition for Zero Hunger project and many other philanthropic pursuits hoping to bring nutrition and nutritional education to people. But, as many people know, health changes do not happen overnight. It takes a systematic framework to tackle the barriers that make nutrition and health a struggle for so many. Herbalife saw that their independent distributors could be a powerful force for this change.
The goals of independent distributors directly reflect the corporate goals of the company. Independent distributors fill the roles of:
- Mentor, guiding their customers toward better nutritional choices and away from bad habits
- Coach, offering advice on how to step up their activity levels and take significant steps toward health goals.
- Friend, someone who listens to and hears their concerns and offers them personalized advice based on your authentic relationships.
Independent distributors, in this way, address a massive problem with the health and wellness industry. So often, people get discouraged by changing their nutritional habits, exercise goals, or fitting healthy meetings into their schedules. On top of this, mainstream gyms aren’t always welcoming to a beginner in the fitness realm. By providing a non-judgmental nutritional and activity guide, independent distributors provide accountability, empathy, and the tools that beginners on their health journey need to stick with it.
Dispelling Myths About Direct Sales
The original Herbalife sales method still exists, and while it works, over the years, consumers have become more used to ecommerce and other nontraditional sales methods. One potential reason people are discouraged by the original sales method is that it relies on the direct selling model.
Direct sales is a product sales method that offers people like Herbalife Independent distributors steep discounts on products. They sell for prices set by the brand, allowing both the independent distributors and the company to profit. Direct sales methods deviate slightly from typical sales methods, which means that people may have mixed reviews on how these products are sold. Unlike retail, each seller is unique, so experiences can be different.
However, many claims made by opponents of direct sales aren’t valid.
Some popular myths about direct sales methods are as follows.
- Myth: The goal of Herbalife Nutrition Clubs is to recruit more salespeople for the company. Herbalife Nutrition Clubs do not operate to find more people to sell their products. Their goals are simple: to bring nutrition to their communities. Community members can turn to nutrition clubs for occasional or one-time nutrition drinks without worrying about being “recruited.”
- Myth: Becoming an independent distributor for Herbalife means investing a lot of money in products to sell. There is no need to purchase large quantities of Herbalife Nutrition products. Anyone can sell small amounts of products within their price range and work up as their income increases.
- Myth: Independent distributors do better when they have a professional storefront. There is no need to take out any office leases or open businesses outside the home. Herbalife Nutrition encourages home-based practices for a sense of community but does remind independent distributors and their guests to be mindful of neighbors.
- Myth: Herbalife independent distributors must go into debt before making a profit. Herbalife Nutrition has a clause about taking out lines of credit or debt to start an independent distribution business. It is strongly discouraged, and the company makes it as simple as possible for independent distributors to buy starter products without breaking the bank.
The direct sales model might not be the sales model most people are used to, but it isn’t necessarily a predatory way of turning a profit. Retail stores operate much in the same way – store owners buy products from a wholesaler (in this case, independent distributors buy from Herbalife Nutrition) and sell the wholesale goods for a markup.
The Role Of The Independent Distributor
But independent distributors are so much more than just salespeople. They are designed to be a friendly face, a coach, and a mentor. They work with customers on reaching individual wellness goals, fitness feats, and weight loss achievements. They strive to help their customers continue this change for the long term.
Independent distributors also work toward spreading the message of Herbalife Nutrition, and they aren’t on their own for doing so. The Company provides tools and training from medical experts, nutritionists, fitness trainers, and more to help distributors succeed and share this knowledge with their customers. The company consistently updates formulas, products, and training materials to reflect latest scientific knowledge surrounding health and wellness. Because of this, independent distributors are better able to serve their community.
Of course, on top of this, they also sell nutritional supplements specifically curated to support Herbalife customers’ holistic wellness goals. Herbalife Nutrition products are not available in stores, so independent distributors are at the forefront of product distribution. Whether they use direct sales methods, online sales, Herbalife Nutrition Clubs, or a mix of sales methods, they are the company’s greatest ally in distributing their products.
A Budget-Friendly Starter Business
Herbalife Nutrition Clubs are an obvious example of how much they respect the individuality and partnership they have with their independent distributors. They were not part of the company’s initial sales plans, but they worked so well that they naturally fit in. The first way that Herbalife Nutrition worked with their independent distributors was by offering them a budget-friendly starter business.
There’s a complete manual of guidelines for new Independent distributors and another separate manual for those seeking to start a Herbalife Nutrition Club. When done by the books, independent distributors can expect:
- Very low startup costs. Most businesses cost thousands of dollars to kick into gear. Herbalife Independent distributors have no minimum purchase levels and do not need to purchase outside business tools. Distributors even get apps that help them plan and sell their products.
- Transparency. Herbalife prides itself on its transparency, its product ingredients, and its business practices. Prospective independent distributors receive clear disclosures about every step of the sales process, including their potential income.
- Fully refundable business packs and products. Herbalife will refund any taxes, handling costs, and unopened products if a distributor cancels their distributorship. Herbalife will also refund the cost of the international business pack.
Build A Business Based Around Your Personality
Many direct sales businesses also operate under the assumption that all independent distributors will naturally take to their business model. However, not all salespeople work well with the same sales tactics. Herbalife Nutrition independent distributors are given the tools and guiding principles to sell Herbalife products in ways that work for them. Even more so, Herbalife offers business tools to their Independent distributors, so they do not need to expend a lot of money to start their business.
Nutrition Clubs are popular with independent distributors who thrive on a sense of community. Nutrition Clubs offer a place for Herbalife customers to gather, consume Herbalife products, and reap the benefits of community accountability. It allows Independent distributors to sell bulk quantities of Herbalife products and individual servings, which also helps community members who may not be able to afford complete products to benefit from single shakes or nutritional supplements.
Nutrition Club leaders must meet a few guidelines to run their nutrition club. They must be an independent distributor for an entire year, complete specific training modules, and complete an online interactive business plan. Additionally, all Nutrition Clubs must be registered with Herbalife Nutrition. However, providing these conditions are met, Nutrition Club leaders have flexibility about how, when, and where they hold their Nutrition Club. Herbalife also provides tips for your club’s grand opening, retaining customers, and getting new people to join in on the benefits of your club.
For those who are less outgoing, web sales are another popular sales route. Herbalife offers GoHerbalife for independent distributors to create their websites. Web hosting and domain name costs are a huge financial hurdle for business startups. With GoHerbalife, the company tackles this cost for their independent distributors while giving them a platform to support their business.
Flexibility For All Lifestyles
One of the most popular things about independent distribution and Herbalife Nutrition Clubs is the flexible nature of distributorship. Not only is it easy on the pockets of independent distributors, but it gives them the option to dictate their own hours. Independent distributors can work part-time or dedicate their entire week on their business. At the start of the company, this business model especially appealed to stay-at-home moms. However, it works well with busy student schedules, people looking for a career change, and anyone who wants to set their own schedules.
Perks Of Being An Independent Distributor
Like any small business or side hustle, the Herbalife business opportunity enables people to become their own boss and set their own schedules. For those passionate about health and wellness, being an independent distributor is all about helping people achieve a healthy weight, become more fit, or simply eating healthier.
The company continually supports its distributors, whether it’s resources, apps, or educational tools. Herbalife independent distributors receive professional training and support from experts in nutrition, wellness, and exercise. They never have to start their business journey alone, and they receive continuous help – regardless of how long they have been a distributor.