What To Do Immediately After A Car Accident On Private Property?
Getting into a car accident is never a fun experience. However, there are well-established protocols for dealing with the aftermath when it happens on public roads. But what if the accident occurs on private property, such as in a parking lot or a private gated community? Who is responsible for dealing with the damage, and what should you do to protect your rights?
What is Considered Private Property?
Private property is generally considered an area that is not open to the public. This can include private driveways and private roads leading up to a residence or building.
Private property can also extend to parking lots for commercial buildings like grocery stores, schools, or hospitals.
How Are Car Accidents Different on Private Property v Public Property?
The big difference between car accidents on private property and public property is that the police typically don’t write citations or create police reports that clearly establish who is at fault as they would on public roads. However, they should still be called to create an incident report that documents the fact that the accident happened which can help in the claims process.
What Should You Do As the Driver?
If you are the driver in a car accident on private property, there are a few things you should do to protect yourself:
1. Make sure everyone is okay and call 911. Even if the police don’t file a full police report, they can still provide documentation that the accident happened which will help during any litigation or arbitration with the at-fault driver and insurance companies.
2. Get the contact information of any witnesses. Also, get their contact information so they can provide testimony if needed.
3. Take photos of the accident scene. This can help document what happened and help personal injury lawyers prove who was at fault in court.
4. Hire a Lawyer. Since the car accident is on private property and you may not be able to get a document from the police citing the at-fault driver, it is necessary to hire a car accident lawyer to learn more about how to get compensation for the accident.
Car accident attorneys are experts at helping prove who was at fault by gathering evidence to prove liability for the collision. Without their help, you may have a harder time getting compensation for any auto repair or medical expenses related to the accident.
5. Contact your insurance company. Let your insurance company know about the accident so they can inform you of the information needed to properly investigate the accident and file a claim.
Know Your Rights and Take Action for Compensation
Just because the car accident happened on private property doesn’t mean that you don’t have any right to get compensation for the accident. You still have the right to file a claim with the other driver’s insurance company, and a lawyer can help you take legal action.
By taking the right steps and understanding your options, you can protect yourself and get the compensation you deserve.