Optima Tax Relief Reviews why Taxpayers Need to Pay the Exact Amount of Taxes that is Owed to the IRS

The IRS requires that whatever tax balance is owed after filing, must be paid in full. Optima Tax Relief reviews what a taxpayer should do if they have overpaid the IRS and what they can do to get their money back.

A taxpayer has the right to pay no more than the correct amount of taxes that they owe. Should a taxpayer pay more than the requested amount they can do one of the following:

  • File for a refund if a taxpayer believes they have overpaid.
  • Reach out the IRS via phone call or by writing a letter if a notice or bill was received. A taxpayer can speak to the IRS directly if they believe the notice or bill that they received contained inaccurate information. Taxpayers should be ready to provide substantiation to the IRS to back up their claim that the information sent over to them contained errors. If a taxpayer is correct, the agency will make the necessary adjustments on their account and send out a corrected notice.
  • If you have found an error on your tax return, you can amend your tax return to correct the issue. A return can also be amended if the following needs to be corrected or added: filing status, income, deductions or credits.
  • A taxpayer can request any amount owed be removed if it’s more than the correct amount that is owed. A taxpayer can also request that the IRS remove any interest or penalties from their account if the IRS is at fault for errors or delays.
  • If a taxpayer is in a true hardship, they can submit an offer in compromise, asking the agency to accept less than half of their tax liability.
Adam Hansen

Adam is a part time journalist, entrepreneur, investor and father.