Software Every Small Business Needs
Whether you are a small business just starting out or have been around for a while, every business needs software that will streamline its processes and make life much easier. There is always so much to do, and it can be overwhelming if you do everything alone.
This is where business software comes in. If you are a small business, the following computer software tips will guide you on what you need for your business.
Business Software you Need
Business software is software made to meet a specific business need. The right business software can make a huge difference and even financially unburden you. This is because you can probably partially or fully automate many processes using the software.
Though some business tools are expensive, you can still find free or affordable software you can use. Other than cost, your business software should:
- Have a free trial. It’s important to test your business software before using it. This will help you know if it is the right option for your business.
- Be compatible with your other systems. If you are already using other systems, find software that can integrate with them.
- Be easy to use. You are trying to make your work easier, and the software you choose should be easy to install and use.
- Have upgrades. The software you choose should be regularly updated to keep up with current trends and protect you from security issues.
- Be light on the device. Your business software should not affect the performance of your device.
- Come from safe sites. If you are unsure of the software, avoid getting it.
- Offer support. You should be able to get support if your software malfunctions.
Now that we understand the importance of business software let us look at the software you can add to your business.
Accounting and Bookkeeping
Accounting and bookkeeping software helps to manage day-to-day financial transactions such as invoicing, billing, expense management, and financial reporting. As your business grows, your financial transactions grow as well and may become more complicated than tracking income and expenses. This means that your accounting software should be able to:
- Invoice and bill.
- Collect online payments
- Perform basic bank reconciliation.
- Make provisions for tax calculations.
- Manage inventory.
- Generate financial reports.
- Make provisions for an accountant.
Some of the best accounting software include Zoho, Wave, Xero, and QuickBooks.
Not all businesses have projects. However, for those that do, efficient project management software will help break down the projects into achievable goals while still maintaining an eye on the end goal. It will also help you:
- See where your funds are going
- Track tasks against deadlines
- Share documents
- Collaborate with other team members.
Such software includes ClickUp, Trello, Basecamp, and Odoo.
Productivity software refers to programs or applications that enable users to maximize office or work productivity by automating tools, creating templates for use, enhancing collaboration, and document production. Most productivity software has multiple functionalities.
There are various types of productivity software.
- Word processor. This is a software application used to write, edit, collaborate, format, and print documents.
- Spreadsheet applications. These are applications that can manipulate data arranged in columns and rows.
- Graphics software. This is software used to create, edit, and publish images.
- Database management. These are applications used to manage data by storing, retrieving, and running queries on the data.
Examples of productivity software include Gsuite, MS Word, LibreOffice, and Open Office.
Comunication and Collaboration
Effective communication is needed for collaboration and for a business to run effectively. Good communication will help everyone involved to know what is going on and what everyone needs to do. Furthermore, with the popularization of remote work, communication software has become a key need in every business.
Every business communicates among team members and clients or customers. This communication can be done via email, chat, and audio or video conferencing. Software that can be used for communication includes Google Workspace, Skype, Zoom, Microsoft Teams, Skype, and Slack.
Customer service is what makes clients and customers come back to your business. You, therefore, need software that can allow your customers to make inquiries, ask for help and talk to a representative. It should also be able to
- Send automatic or customized emails
- Integrate with digital campaign efforts
- Keep track of a customer’s journey.
Some of the best customer service software includes LiveAgent, Salesforce Service Cloud,
Zoho Desk, Zendesk and Help Scout.
Time is the most important commodity, and time-tracking software is used to ensure no time is wasted during productive hours. Such software documents the time spent on different tasks helping you know how effectively you or your employees spend your time and how to compensate them for their time.
People who With this software, you should also be able to:
- Schedule tasks or jobs
- Generate detailed reports
- Monitor projects
Time tracking software includes Evernote, ClickUp, QuickBooks Time, Clockify, and Timely.
You do not need all the software mentioned for your business to thrive. You may even find software that meets various business needs. Your software should fit your business. Not the other way around.