How to Improve Construction Site Safety
Construction sites can be dangerous places. Every year, there are accidents that result in injury or death. To help improve safety on construction sites, there are some things that can be done. This handy guide from SRP Hire Solutions has been created to offer the best advice and guidance regarding construction site safety.
Important things to consider for your construction site
One of the most important things is to have the right facilities for workers and visitors. This includes having a First Aid station and an Emergency exit. There should also be plenty of signage to help people find their way around the construction site.
Another important thing is to make sure that all of the workers on the site are properly trained. They should know how to use all of the equipment safely and how to stay safe while working in hazardous conditions. Providing your construction workers with the necessary safety equipment will ensure that they are protected while working. The most essential protective equipment includes hard hats, high-visibility vests or clothing, protective eyewear, and protective footwear.
Regular safety inspections should be carried out on construction sites. These can help to identify any potential hazards and can ensure that corrective action is taken if necessary. Site inspections should be carried out by a third-party health and safety expert. This is somebody who is trained in completing throughout health and safety checks, being able to identify the signs of hazards and offer advice to site managers to improve the safety of the site.
Essential construction site facilities
A well managed site will offer the construction workers and visitors the right facilities to improve their working conditions. Essential site facilities include:
- Portable toilets – Needing little explanation, portable toilets are essential for construction sites, offering secure facilities for construction site workers to take toilet breaks.
- Welfare cabins – A welfare cabin is a useful facility to hire for construction sites, these can be hired as mobile or static cabins. Their main purpose is to offer a space for all your site requirements in one space. This includes necessary facilities such as running hot water, toilet facilities, microwaves and kettles.
- Portable canteen units – Canteen units offer the ideal space for catering for construction site workers. Providing a safe and hygienic space for food and drink to be consumed away from the hustle and bustle of the busy construction work outside. These spaces can also offer shelter from harsh weather conditions, keeping workers safe.
- Portable office units – A portable office space can be incredibly useful for site managers who are looking for a safe, secure, working space away from the working site. This is particularly useful for keeping all records and documents safe also.
- Secure site storage containers – Keeping site equipment safe in secure site storage containers will not only help to reduce hazards but keep equipment out of site from potential thieves.
All of these facilities will help to ensure your construction site is well-managed and maintained. Plus, fitted with all the relevant areas for construction workers to feel supported and safe.