How Blue Light Toxicity Can Affect Employees In Your Business
Blue light is usually associated with the screens of various electronic devices, from smartphones, laptops to desktop computers. And while all of these devices are vital for an employee’s productivity, going overboard can lead to blue light toxicity, which can inhibit sleep and result in long-term eye damage.
Whenever your employees are exposed to blue light, poisonous chemicals are released that can damage their vision. This still doesn’t include the adverse effects of blue light on chronic diseases. To paint a clearer picture of how blue light toxicity can affect your employees, consider the following points:
1. Blue Light Can Disrupt The Circadian Rhythm
The sun’s blue light can trigger when your employees should sleep or wake up. The human body is naturally synchronized with the rising and setting of the sun: people will wake up when the sun rises and sleep when it sets. The circadian rhythm is also responsible for keeping the human body active, alert, and awake. When your employees are frequently exposed to blue light, their circadian rhythm will be drastically affected, which can result in:
- Decrease of hormone functions and cellular health. Once this happens, it’ll be hard for your employees to function at work. They won’t be able to grasp instructions easily, which can create a ripple effect in all aspects of your business.
- Systems and organs in the human body will wear down. This can make your employees vulnerable to disease. When your employees are sick, they have to miss days from work, which can mean a delay in your operations. This is especially true if the absentee is an employee who holds a managerial or supervisory position in the business.
2. Blue Light Can Affect The Body’s Melatonin Production
Melatonin is a hormone that regulates the body’s sleep and wake functions. When the sun rises in the morning, the human body will naturally stop producing melatonin. This can prompt the body to become more alert and active. When the sun sets at the end of the day, melatonin production happens again, telling the human body to rest and sleep.
When your employees are exposed to their electronic devices in the wee hours of the morning, their brains might think that the light from the screen is light from the sun. This can “trick” their bodies to stay alert and awake when they should be sleeping. Melatonin suppression can be linked to the following:
- Sleeping disorders. Sleep is vital in your employees’ productivity. Sleep is the body’s natural way of recharging and repairing damaged muscles and tissues. When your employees don’t get enough sleep due to melanin suppression, they might cause accidents in the workplace. Over time, sleep deprivation can even hurt the cognitive processes of your employees, making it tough for them to think and learn.
- Increased risk of diabetes. Studies have proven that diabetes can significantly impact employment and work productivity. When your employees have diabetes, they will usually retire earlier than expected and have increased sick days. This will not only harm the overall operations of your business, but this can also affect your business’ recruitment and retention programs.
3. Blue Light Can Be Linked To Eye Strain
Too much blue light exposure from different electronic devices can put stress on your employees’ eyes. Regardless of what industry your business is operating, you’ll know how essential vision is for your employees and for your business. If your employees are exposed to eye strain, the following things can take place:
- Tired or itching eyes. When your employees have eye strain, they can experience a burning sensation in their eyes. Instead of focusing on accomplishing a specific task, their time will be spent scratching their eyes. This might seem like a small problem, but once left untreated, it’ll be hard for your employees to work effectively when they have eye strain.
- Sore neck, back, and shoulders. Contrary to popular belief, eye strain doesn’t only affect the employees’ vision; eye strain can also result in sore neck, back, and shoulders. When your employees feel sore, being productive and satisfying the needs of customers can become a challenge for them.
- Difficulty in concentrating. Concentration is one of the most important abilities your employees should have. If they don’t know how to focus or easily lose focus, you’ll see yourself repeating the same instructions over and over again. This situation is clearly a waste of time and energy.
Invest In Health
The use of electronic devices is vital for your business’ success. However, if you want to experience long-term success, you should also implement practices that can benefit your employees’ health. Remember that your employees are the lifeblood of your business—without them, your business can never operate.
There are a variety of ways you can help reduce blue light exposure for your employees. You can recommend they use a free software program like f.lux, which filters blue light on your desktop. Also, encourage your employees to wear computer glasses that block blue light. These glasses are inexpensive and readily available. They help reduce eye strain and help you reduce exposure to blue light from monitors and digital devices.