Hey guys..I am back with another Tech Tip for ya……
Remote assistance is a Windows feature that often comes activated once the operating system is installed. While it can be beneficial, specifically for sharing files or fixing minor computer issues, it can also pose serious security risks.
It can be a source of private information leak and an open invitation to both bored and professional hackers. I’m sure you don’t want that to happen, right? That’s why disabling remote assistance is very important , especially when you rarely or never use it.
How to Disable Windows Remote Assistance
Disabling Windows remote assistance is actually easy and takes a couple of minutes at most. Take a look at the Windows edition you have and follow the instructions for it below.
For Windows 7 and Vista:
1. Press the Windows and Break buttons.
2. On the menu on the left side of the screen, find and click Remote Settings.
3. (For Vista users only) Enter your administrator password or, if you have none, click the “Continue” button.
4. Uncheck the box beside the “Allow Remote Assistance Connection to This Computer.”
5. Click on “Don’t Allow Connections to This Computer.”
6. Click on “OK.”
7. You have disabled the Windows remote assistance feature.
For Windows XP users:
1. Open the System dialog by pressing Win+Break.
2. Click on the Remote Tab.
3. Uncheck the “Allow Remote Assistance invitations to be sent from this computer.”
4. If there’s an option to “Allow users to connect remotely to this computer,” uncheck that as well.
5. Click “OK.”
6. Windows remote assistance is disabled.
Now, isn’t that easy? Securing our private information and files is paramount, regardless if we are using computers for professional or personal purposes. Make sure you and your computer aren’t exposed to prying eyes, suspicious users, and hackers by disabling your Windows Remote Assistance feature today.
Now if you happen to be in a position where you absolutely POSITIVELY need to setup a remote connection to your pc or to someone else’s computer, I would recommend using Logmein.com Here’s a video that shows you how LogMein Works.