21 Compelling Social Media Marketing Stats You Can’t Afford to Ignore in (2015)
Social media is here to stay! I know I know…many of you are probably ready for me to stop chumping at the bit about social media, but quite honestly, it’s just one of my favorite topics these days.
It has been through social media that I have received:
- A ton of exposure and recognition for the Small Business Sense brand from large online publications (such as the New York Times) Yipeee 🙂
- Invitations to guest blog for various blogs in the small business space
- A spike in new visitors to the site and more…
Why is it so important for small businesses to use social media?
- Well for one, your customers are there! Yes…they are. Billions of them to be exact. Social networks are the perfect communications channels to connect with them.
- Secondly, you can literally market your business to the masses on the cheap! Think about it this way…it will run you upwards of 2,000 dollars to run a traditional magazine article. The cost to get started with using social networks to market your business: FREE
- Lastly, and this is a biggeee is increased brand recognition. One of the concerns that I hear from lot of entrepreneurs is how can they “get their brands out there to the world”. Well…social media networks are prime real estate that you can use for this effort.
Social Media Marketing Stats You Can’t Ignore
If you are not actively using social networks to market your small business, I’ve rounded up a list of stats about using social networks for marketing your small business that you should seriously consider:
General Social Media Stats for Small Businesses:
1. 8 out of 10 SMB’s use social media for their businesses to drive growth (Hubspot)
2. 3 in 5 SMB’s say they’ve gained new customers by using social media (Hubspot)
3. 83% of B2B marketers use social media to increase their brand exposure while 69% use social networks to increase web traffic (Social Media Examiner)
4. 82% of SMBs in “hyper growth” (significant increase in revenue) say that social media is effective for generating leads. (Hubspot)
5. 92% of marketers say social media has generated exposure for their business (Convince and Convert)
Facebook Social Media Marketing Stats:
1. Worldwide, there are over 1.44 billion monthly active Facebook users (Facebook)
2. 70% of business to consumer marketers have acquired customers through Facebook (Outbound Engine)
3. 42% of marketers report that Facebook is critical or important to their business (State of Inbound Marketing)
4. Facebook is the most visited website (of all websites) (Yahoo Small Business)
Twitter Social Media Marketing Stats:
1. Twitter is the 2nd most used social network (85 percent) by B2B marketers (Flip Creator)
2. B2B marketers with Twitter accounts generate twice as many leads than those marketers who don’t have an account (Social Media Today).
3. Promoted tweets boost offline sales by 29 percent (HubSpot).
4. The average Twitter user follows five or more businesses. Over a third (37%) of Twitter users will buy from a brand they follow. (Media Bistro)
LinkedIn Social Media Marketing Stats
1. LinkedIn is considered the most effective network for business to business lead generation (Jerome Knyszewski – LinkedIn post)
2. 83% of B2B marketers use LinkedIn for distributing content (Gerardo Lara on Pinterest)
3. LinkedIn is the only platform the majority of B2B marketers consider to be effective (Content Marketing Institute)
4. 65% of B2B companies have acquired a customer through LinkedIn (Hubspot)
Google Plus Marketing Stats
1. 70% of business brands have a presence on Google Plus (Social Media Today)
2. The +1 button Google Plus is clicked more than 5 billion times a day (Digital Insights Blog)
3. 26% of mobile Internet owners who use their devices to access social media sites visit Google Plus (CMO by Adobe)
4. Google +1s is more highly correlated with search rankings (Moz Blog)
Tips for Getting the Most out of Your Social Media Marketing
1. Choose one platform that you like to get started on, build up a fan base there then move on to another one.
2. Develop a clear strategy; Get a clear strategy in place for targeting prospects and getting attention to your business.
3. Invest in a social media management tool for your business to automate some of your social media marketing efforts.
4. Choose a platform that is most effective for marketing your small business. In my previous post that covers 15 beginners guides to using social media for small business, I mentioned that the 2015 Social Media Industry report created by the Social Media Examiner states that 5 of the most effective social media marketing networks for businesses are: Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Google Plus and Pinterest. Pick one and start using it in your business.